Platelet Rich Plasma, PRP, is blood plasma with high concentrations of platelets. Blood is made of Red Blood Cells, White Blood Cells, Plasma and Platelets. Platelets are important in a number of essential functions for the body. At Union Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Center in the Monroe, Mint Hill and Charlotte area, we are particularly interested in its use during the formation of blood clots and the release of growth factors, PDGF (Platelet-Derived Growth Factors) which is one of the main wound healing and regeneration hormones for bone. PRP is produced when a sample of the patient’s own blood is obtained and processed in a centrifuge, here in our office, which separates the platelets from red blood cells. The PRP is then used during surgery to accelerate bone formation and density during the healing stage.
Why Use Platelet Rich Plasma?
- Lower Risk of Post-Operative Infection – PRP seals the wound which helps keep out infectious agents.
- Safe and Convenient – It is completely safe because the blood harvested is from the patient’s own blood supply. The amount of blood is small and can be collected during a routine visit.
- Faster Healing – The tissue regenerates faster when the wound is saturated with PRP.
When Is Platelet Rich Plasma Used?
- Sinus Lift
- Bone Grafting for Implant
- Closure of Cleft Palate
- Repair of Bone Defects from the Removal of Small Cysts or Teeth
- Repair to the fistula, an opening between the mouth and sinus cavity
Platelet Rich Plasma is a valuable and effective way of improving the surgical sites involved in oral surgery. PRP is a completely safe procedure. It utilizes the Monroe, Mint Hill and Charlotte patient’s own blood, so disease transmission is not a factor. A majority of patients also state that they feel a greater degree of comfort postoperatively.We will discuss the use of PRP with you during your consultation here at Union Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Center.
We will discuss the use of PRP with you during your consultation here at Union Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Center. Contact our office in the Monroe, Mint Hill and Charlotte area at (704) 291-7333 to schedule a consultation.