If you have no teeth in your upper or lower arch or if many of your teeth require extraction, you may be a good candidate for All-on-4® / hybrid dentures. The treatment method can give you back a full set of teeth as well as restore the strength of your bite and the appearance of your smile.
Union Oral Surgery frequently provides All-on-4 / hybrid dentures to patients who want the freedom to eat, speak, and smile more comfortably. Our doctors are surgical experts who offer decades of experience. Just as importantly, they and our staff follow a gentle, supportive, and communicative approach to patient care.
About All-on-4 and Hybrid Dentures
All-on-4 / hybrid dentures are a set of dentures that are fixed in place with dental implants rather than with denture adhesive. These implants replace the roots of missing teeth, and they help anchor the dentures to your gums. The “All-on-4” name refers to the fact that you may only require four-to-six dental implants per arch for the treatment.
All-on-4 / hybrid dentures tend to be much smaller than a regular removable denture. A titanium core gives them added strength, and, with the help of a restorative dentist, they offer a full arch of natural-looking teeth to replace your original set of teeth.
The Benefits of All-on-4 and Hybrid Dentures
Patients choose All-on-4 / hybrid dentures because of the advantages they offer over other approaches:
- They provide a more comfortable feel and greater function than traditional dentures. You won’t have to worry about slippage or problems with speech.
- You may be able to receive your dental implants and temporary dentures in a single visit, giving you a completely restored smile in one day. Note, however, that many patients require multiple visits so that they can heal properly between procedures.
- Because the approach only uses four-to-six implants per arch, you can expect a lower cost and less time in surgery than with conventional implant treatment.
- The smaller size of the dentures means that you may have better sensation of hot and cold while you eat. Some patients tell us that they can actually taste food more easily.
- Patients have reported minimal discomfort after the surgery. They are typically delighted with the final results, the ability to eat a wider variety of foods, and the increased confidence they feel.
Your Initial Visit
Start by scheduling an appointment at our offices to learn about All-on-4 / hybrid dentures. Patients of Union Oral Surgery benefit from the care and expertise of Helen Scott, our implant treatment coordinator (ITC). As an ITC, Helen will serve as your first point of contact for dental implants and related procedures. She will also coordinate care between Union Oral Surgery, your general dentist, and your restorative dentist, ensuring a smooth transition between your providers and making your experience as easy as possible.
During your initial consultation, you will also have the opportunity to get to know your Union Oral Surgery doctor. The doctor will determine whether you are a good candidate for All-on-4 / hybrid dentures by evaluating:
- The amount and quality of the bone in the area of your missing teeth.
- The number of teeth that need to be extracted.
- Your medical and dental history.
Based on this examination, the doctor will develop your treatment plan and answer any questions you have. The doctor may also recommend bone grafts or other initial procedures to strengthen the foundation for dental implants and dentures.
What Patients Can Expect with All-on-4 and Hybrid Dentures
Our practice offers specialists in oral surgery for patients. We also coordinate All-on-4 / hybrid dentures with restorative dentists who have years of experience in designing and placing natural-looking restorations.
Each patient’s treatment plan is different, but the typical process follows:
- Temporary dentures will be fabricated several weeks before your procedure.
- During your implant surgery, the temporary dentures will be completely remodeled to fit the dental implants. This allows you to leave the procedure with teeth in place.
- Over the next 2-4 months, the surrounding bone will bond with your implants, creating support for your teeth. You’ll also return to Union Oral Surgery so that your doctor can track the progress of your recovery.
- Once your implants are ready, your restorative dentist will replace the temporary teeth with permanent hybrid dentures. This completes the process.
All-on-4 / hybrid dentures offer an effective, natural-looking, and durable improvement. We invite you to visit our practice and learn more about the treatment.
Schedule an appointment to discuss All-on-4 / hybrid dentures. Patients can contact Union Oral Surgery online or by phone.