If you have one or more missing teeth and want a durable, effective replacement, consider dental implants. This restorative treatment offers the closest match to the look, feel, and function of your own natural teeth, and it provides aesthetic and cost benefits other approaches do not.
Union Oral Surgery invites you to explore the procedure with our practice. Our doctors are board-certified surgical specialists who have placed over 5,000 dental implants for patients in Monroe, Mint Hill and all of Union County. Generations of families in our community have chosen us for the personal, gentle, and expert treatment we provide in our state-of-the-art facilities.
Learn more about dental implants and our approach to procedures below. Then, contact Union Oral Surgery to schedule an initial consultation.
How Dental Implants Work
Dental implants restore your smile by replacing missing teeth with new dental roots connected to tooth-shaped crowns. An implant can replace an individual tooth with a single root and crown, or it can restore multiple teeth with bridgework or dentures.
Dental implants return full functionality to your bite with strength that is about five times that of your natural tooth. You can chew with and brush these new teeth just as you would your own teeth. If you wear dentures, your doctor can use dental implants to anchor the dentures in place. This prevents slippage and can completely change your comfort when speaking, eating, and interacting with other people.
Advantages That Dental Implants Offer
Union Oral Surgery recommends dental implants to patients in Monroe, Mint Hill and all of Union County because of the benefits they provide compared to other solutions:
- When you lose a tooth, the surrounding bone may erode and create an even bigger gap. Dental implants are the only restoration option that conserves bone in the area of a missing tooth.
- Dental implants are often the most cost-effective way to replace teeth. Solutions like dental bridges have an average lifespan of eight-to-ten years and may require replacement.
- With other options, bone can erode around the site of the replacement tooth. This can create a visible gap between the gums and the restoration.
- Dental implants conserve healthy teeth. Other treatments, like dental bridges, require filing down adjacent teeth to fit the anchoring crowns. Partial dentures can also damage existing teeth.
What Dental Implant Patients Can Expect
Start by scheduling a visit with Union Oral Surgery in Monroe and Mint Hill in Union County. Our practice is one of the few that provides the services of an implant treatment coordinator. In addition to coordinating your care between our office and your other dental providers, our ITC Helen Scott, is here to answer the questions you may have about dental implants and to guide you through the first part of your consultation.
Once you have an understanding of dental implants, you will have the opportunity to get to know your doctor and discuss treatment options. The doctor will prepare a plan customized to your needs, which may include digital radiography, CT scans, and dental models.
Your doctor may recommend preliminary treatments, such as bone grafts, to build up strength in the area of the missing teeth. Once these grafts heal—typically a few months later—you will return to our practice for your dental implants.
During the procedure:
- We will help keep you comfortable with Wi-Fi, music, and reading material.
- We can provide a variety of anesthesia option, including traditional numbing (local), oral sedation, nitrous oxide, and general anesthesia under the care of a board-certified anesthesiologist.
- Most patients say that the experience is much less painful than others they have had. Treatment takes less than an hour per tooth, and we use a gentle approach and advanced techniques that limit discomfort.
Expert Care in Restoring Your Teeth
Bone requires 2-4 months to bond properly with dental implants. So that you don’t have a visible gap during this time, we may be able to provide a temporary crown or removable appliance. However, this crown will not have much strength, so you must avoid chewing food with it.
In 2-4 months, you will visit a restorative doctor, who will plan, design, and place crowns on your dental implants. Afterwards, you will be ready to enjoy a completely renewed smile.
Choose a durable, strong, and aesthetic option for replacing missing teeth. Schedule an appointment with Union Oral Surgery in the Monroe and Mint Hill areas in Union County for dental implants.